When fiberglass insulation is left uncovered or exposed, it may present health risks to the people in your home. Though it’s a common practice to leave insulation uncovered in certain areas of the home, there could be risks if the insulation is disturbed or if you come into contact with it.
In this blog post, we’ll explore how to determine if exposed insulation is of concern in your home and actions you can take.
Is Exposed Insulation Dangerous?
As an insulation material, fiberglass is an effective, versatile solution. Made of tiny glass fibers, it’s naturally resistant to heat and heat transfer.
Manufacturing fiberglass is easy and cost-efficient, making it a highly popular insulation choice.
Some builders and installers leave fiberglass insulation exposed in your home, which is not necessarily dangerous. But if it’s located in the wrong place, it can pose a danger.
In attics and basements, where the people in your home don’t spend much time, there’s no real health risk. When there’s uncovered insulation in rooms that are frequently used, like in bedrooms, living rooms or bathrooms, the risk is greater.
Health concerns you might experience with increased exposure to uncovered fiberglass insulation include:
- Skin & eye irritation: Contact with insulation can send irritating particles into the air, which can irritate the eyes and skin.
- Lung irritation: Fiberglass insulation particles can create respiratory problems if inhaled. That’s why you may see insulation installers and technicians wearing protective masks as they work.
- Child safety: Curious children may attempt to touch and play with exposed insulation. Dealing with exposed insulation promptly and effectively is important for keeping the children in your home safe.
What To Do if You Find Exposed Insulation in Your Home
If you find uncovered or exposed insulation in your Columbus home, call professional insulation contractors right away. Once an expert assesses the nature of the issue, they’ll help you determine the best solution for eliminating the related risks.
Options may include:
- Installation of paneling over the insulation
- Installation of drywall over the insulation
- Sealing the insulation with poly membrane sheets
- Flooring installation covering the insulation
Expert Insulation Contractors in Columbus, OH
Edwards/Mooney & Moses is a trusted residential and commercial insulation company in the Columbus, OH, area. From new construction insulation to retrofit insulation, our experts have extensive training and comprehensive experience handling insulation challenges of all kinds.
We can assess the state of any exposed insulation you may have and then recommend the right solutions that fit your home’s requirements and your budget. We’ll make sure the job gets done right the first time so you save on energy costs and stay comfortable and safe the whole year.
Call (614) 254-5309 to learn more about insulation services from Edwards/Mooney & Moses in the Columbus area.